Admission, Acceptance Rate, Courses, Tuition, Aids
A Virginia Wesleyan education is a pathway to a fuller, more active, more compassionate, and more satisfying life. It is also excellent preparation for a career chosen from a wide range of fields, including the arts, the sciences, business, law, education, health care, entertainment, and public service.
So, if you are an intending student of VWU, you are definitely in the right place. Here, I will be giving you a comprehensive review of Virginia Wesleyan University from its acceptance rate to its admission requirements, tuition fees, programs and courses, and scholarships.
Founded in 1961, Virginia Wesleyan University (VWU) is a private university in Virginia Beach, Virginia; a Coastal Virginia’s premier university of the liberal arts and sciences. Situated on a 300-acre park-like campus in Virginia Beach, VWU annually enrolls approximately 1,500 students in undergraduate, graduate, and online programs.
Virginia Wesleyan College is nonsectarian but historically affiliated with The United Methodist Church.
Keep reading for detailed information about the school. Below is a table of what to expect:
Why Study at Virginia Wesleyan University?
If you want to study at a diverse and globally recognized institution, then Virginia Wesleyan University should to the list. VWU was selected for inclusion in The Princeton Review’s Best 386 Colleges: 2021 Edition and chosen as a 2020-2021 College of Distinction for excellence in student-focused higher education.
Here are some reasons why should study at Virginia Wesleyan University:
- Accredited Programs. You don’t have to worry about your degree as VWU programs are accredited and recognized by the right bodies.
- Affordability. Over 98 percent of VWU students receive financial aid assistance. Merit-based scholarships of up to $24,000/year are available.
- Scholarly. Faculty members are more than professors; they’re scholars, mentors, and friends. Ninety percent hold a PhD or the highest degree in their field.
- Supportive. With small classes and a 14:1 student/faculty ratio, you’ll find an extremely supportive community, from financial aid to faculty mentors, ready to help you succeed.
- Beautiful Location. VWU is coastal; the picturesque 300-acre campus of Virginia Wesleyan University is situated in world-famous Virginia Beach.
- Community-minded. In keeping with the Wesleyan tradition, VWU believes higher education is about more than gaining knowledge; it’s about giving back and reaching out to those in need.
- Global. Here, you can study abroad through direct exchange programs in Germany, Japan, Italy, and Mexico, or a broad range of affiliate and faculty-led programs that may find you studying art in Costa Rica or business in Beijing.
At VWU, they nurture learners in a community grounded in critical thinking, empathy, and civil discourse.
Where is Virginia Wesleyan University Located?
Virginia Wesleyan University is located in Coastal Virginia, a diverse and vibrant region rich in history, culture, natural resources, and thriving industry. It is in world-famous Virginia Beach, Virginia, just miles from the Atlantic Ocean and the Chesapeake Bay, and part of a metropolitan region of 1.7 million people.
Virginia Wesleyan University Accreditation
Virginia Wesleyan University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC) to award baccalaureate and master’s degrees.
Also, Virginia Wesleyan University is one of more than 80 colleges and universities in the United States recognized as United Methodist-related by the University Senate of the General Board of Higher Education of the United Methodist Church.
See other Virginia Wesleyan University accreditation HERE.
Virginia Wesleyan University Rankings
In 2020 US News & World Report recognized Virginia Wesleyan University between #171-#221 in National Liberal Arts Colleges, and also as one of the top 25 most ethnically diverse national liberal arts colleges in the USA.
In addition, the US NEWS ranks it as #61 in Top Performers on Social Mobility.
What is Virginia Wesleyan University Acceptance Rate?
Virginia Wesleyan University admissions is selective with an acceptance rate of 77%. This is quite high when compared to other universities in the USA.
So, if you want to be enrolled into VWU, ensure you prepare adequately and also adhere to its admission requirements.
What are the Admission Requirements at Virginia Wesleyan University?
To successfully apply to Virginia Wesleyan University, you must submit the following documents:
- A completed application.
- An official high school transcript or comparable home school documentation.
- Proof of English language proficiency at the time of application for admission (for applicants whose first language is not English)
Virginia Wesleyan University Academics
Virginia Wesleyan’s academic program is administered through its 6 schools and offer homeschooling services through its two (2) academies. VWU schools and colleges:
Which Programs And Courses are Offered at Virginia Wesleyan University?
Virginia Wesleyan University offers 39 majors and 31 minors programs as wells as 15 pre-professional tracks.
Virginia Wesleyan University Undergraduate Programs
VWU undergraduate programs are grouped into majors, minors, pre-professional tracks and online programs. Do well to click on each of them to know more.
Majors and Other ProgramsMajors and Other Programs
Below is a tabular representation of the major programs at VWU and the degrees they proffer to students on completion:
ProgramDegreeAllied HealthPPArt TherapyPPAmerican StudiesBAArtBABiologyBA, BSBusinessBA, BA OnlineAccounting ConcentrationBAChemistryBSClassical Studies & LatinBACommunicationBAComprehensive Liberal StudiesBA, BA OnlineComprehensive Liberal Studies – Curricular Emphasis
(recommended for students seeking teacher licensure)BAComputer Science and Information SystemsBA, BA Online, BSCriminal JusticeBA, BA OnlineDentistryPPEarth and Environmental SciencesBA, BSEducation & Special Education Elementary Education PreK-6BASpecial Education: General Curriculum K – 12BAEnglishBAEnvironmental StudiesBA, BA OnlineForeign Languages and Literatures-Classics French StudiesBAGerman StudiesBAHispanic StudiesBALatinBAHistoryBAHistory & Social ScienceBAIndividualized StudiesBAInternational StudiesBALawPPMathematicsBA, BSMedicineAPMusicBANursingBSNOccupational TherapyAPPharmacyAPPhilosophyBAPolitical ScienceBAPsychologyBA, BA OnlinePublic PolicyAPReligious StudiesBASocial ScienceBA, BA OnlineSocial WorkBSWSociologyBA, BA OnlineSport and Recreation Professions Sport and Recreation ManagementBARecreational TherapyBASustainability ManagementBA, BA Online, BSTheatreBATheologyAPVeterinary MedicinePPWomen’s & Gender StudiesBA
BA- Bachelor of Arts; BS – Bachelor of Science; PP – Pre-professional; AP- Accelerated Degree
Below are the minor programs at VWU:
- Africana Studies
- American Studies
- Art History
- Classical Studies
- Computer Science
- Criminal Justice
- Data Science
- Earth and Environmental Sciences
- Environmental Studies
- French Studies
- German Studies
- Hispanic Studies
- Jewish Studies
- Marine Science
- Political Science
- Religious Studies
- Women’s and Gender Studies
Virginia Wesleyan University offers a number of pathways to a career in the following:
- Art Therapy and Counseling
- Business Administration
- Church- Vocations
- Dentistry, Medicine, Veterinary Medicine, and Allied Health Professions
- Environmental Studies
- Law School
- Social Work
- Sport and Recreation Professions
- Sustainability Management
The following undergraduate degree programs are available online at Virginia Wesleyan University:
- Bachelor of Arts in Business
- Bachelor of Arts in Criminal Justice
- B.A. In Digital Music
- Bachelor of Arts in Environmental Studies
- Bachelor of Arts in Information Systems
- B.A. In Psychology
- Bachelor of Arts in Social Science
- Bachelor of Arts in Sociology
- B.A. In Sustainability Management
- Bachelor of Arts in Comprehensive Liberal Studies
Learn more about Virginia Wesleyan’s undergraduate programs here.
Virginia Wesleyan University Graduate Programs
Virginia Wesleyan University offers masters degree programs in the following fields of study :
- Master of Business Administration (MBA) (Online)
- MEd (Master of Education) (Online – beginning in Summer 2021)
- Master of Arts in Education (MAEd) (On-campus)
Learn more about Virginia Wesleyan’s graduate programs here.
How Much is Tuition at Virginia Wesleyan University?
Virginia Wesleyan University tuition is $36,010 while its average room & board cost is $9,988. Below is a breakdown of the tuition fees at Virginia Wesleyan University:
Day Students Tuition at VWUFull time (12-18 credit hours)$36,010/year$18,005/semesterPart time (less than 12 credit hours)$1500 per credit hourOverload (more than 18 credit hours)$1,500 for each add’l hour
over 18 credit hoursEvening and Weekend Students Tuition at VWUEvening and Weekend Classes$399 per credit hourDay and Evening/Weekend Summer programs Tuition at VWUSummer classes$399 per credit hourSummer housing$117 per weekOnline Programs Tuition at VWUUndergraduate Degree Program$399 per credit hourGraduate MBA Program$499 per credit hourDay MAEd Program$399 per credit hourAuditsDay students (for credit)$1,500 per credit hourEvening and Weekend students (for credit)$399 per credit hourOther students (non-credit)$50 per credit hourJanuary TermFull-time Day students (12+ credit hrs) in both fall and spring semesters$740 DayPart-Time Day students fall or spring$740+1,500 per credit hourEvening and Weekend students$399 per credit hourDay students completing graduation requirements from the fall semester$399 per credit hourJanuary Term Housing$461Freshman Mandatory January Term FeeJanuary Tuition Fee$740January Term Housing$461Virginia Wesleyan University Scholarships
There are several scholarships available to both incoming and returning students at Virginia Wesleyan University. They include:
- Scholarship Funding for Freshmen and Transfers (Merit Based)
- Batten Honors College – Batten Fellowship
- $1,000 FAFSA Grant
- Virginia Wesleyan University Global Scholarship
- Need-Based Grants
- United Methodist Higher Education Foundation
- Virginia Beach College Success Scholarship
Scholarship Funding for Freshmen and Transfers (Merit Based)
Virginia Wesleyan offers academic scholarships to all entering freshmen and transfer students.
Once you’ve submitted your application and all credentials (Freshmen: High School Transcripts and ACT/SAT scores; Transfers: Official Transcripts from previous institutions), the enrollment counselors will evaluate and send a scholarship offer with your VWU acceptance letter.
Batten Honors College – Batten Fellowship
The Batten Fellowship is a full-tuition scholarship that is awarded to 20 students per year who complete the application process to the Batten Honors College.
Receive Virginia Wesleyan’s $1,000 FAFSA Grant when you list Virginia Wesleyan University on your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The FAFSA form can be found online at fafsa.ed.gov.
VWU School Code: 003767
Virginia Wesleyan University Global Scholarship
International students who enroll in the traditional day program at Virginia Wesleyan University to complete a bachelor’s degree will receive a merit scholarship valued at $19,000 per year.
Need-based grants require completion of the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Student must show demonstrated need and be enrolled full time. Amount varies. (Be sure to take advantage of VWU’s $1,000 FAFSA Grant listed above). Virginia Wesleyan University’s school code is 003767.
United Methodist Higher Education Foundation
The United Methodist Higher Education Foundation awards scholarships to deserving students across the country. Each year, the foundation distributes over $2 million to more than 1,000 students attending over 100 United Methodist-related institutions of higher learning.
Virginia Beach College Success Scholarship
Virginia Wesleyan has offers a $10,000 scholarship program intended to celebrate academic success and shared hometown values.
Click on the link below for more VWU scholarships.
Student Life at Virginia Wesleyan University
Virginia Wesleyan University understands that a real education is more than books and tests. It’s about life.
So, from the annual Mud Games and Seafood Party in the Dell to Greek Life, intramural sports, and 50+ clubs and organizations, there is always something to keep body and soul active and engaged on VWU campus.
Virginia Wesleyan University Notable Alumni
Here some Virginia Wesleyan University notable alumni as seen on Wikipedia:
- Kelly Convirs-Fowler, Representative, U.S. State of Virginia’s 21st House of Delegates District.
- Kevin Nickelberry, assistant to the head men’s basketball coach at Louisiana State University.
- Randy Peele, assistant men’s basketball coach at Texas Southern University.
- Sam Presti, Executive Vice President and General Manager of the Oklahoma City Thunder.
- Richard H. Stuart, State Senate of Virginia, Representing the 28th District.
- Bob Valvano, American sportscaster.
- Keller Williams, American musician.
Virginia Wesleyan University Website
You can visit Virginia Wesleyan university’s official website for more information about the school, its admission, programs, tuition, and others.
The article has been carefully written to provide you with all the information you need regarding Virginia Wesleyan University. So, ensure you take your time to go through it.
I hope this helps you in your decision making process.
Good Luck And Success!!!
- USNEWS – Virginia Wesleyan University
- VWU – Why Virginia Wesleyan
- VWU – Freshmen Admission Requirements
- Wikipedia – Virginia Wesleyan University
- VWU – Tuition & Fees 2020-2021
- VWU – Student Life
- Harvard University Medical School Acceptance Rate
- Stanford University Rankings and its Tuition Fees with Admission Requirements
- Princeton University: Admission, Tuition, Scholarships, Courses, Ranking
- Shaw University Tuition, Scholarship, and Cost of Living
- Yale University Acceptance Rate | Admission Requirements
- Pepperdine University: Admission, Courses, Scholarships, Fees
- Kishwaukee College Admission, Acceptance Rate, Scholarships, Tuition Fee
Do you find this content helpful or have any questions relating to the information we provided here? Please kindly drop a comment on our comment box and we will get back to you as soon as possible.