Housekeeping and cleaning jobs are in high demand in Australia, especially for those who are looking to work in the country as a foreigner. Australia is a popular destination for foreigners who are looking for new job opportunities and a better quality of life.
One of the most sought-after industries for foreign workers is the hospitality sector, particularly housekeeping and cleaning jobs. With a strong economy and growing tourism industry, there is a high demand for workers in this field. So if you’re looking for a chance to work and live in Australia, housekeeping and cleaning jobs may be the perfect opportunity.
In this blog post, we will explore the ins and outs of housekeeping and cleaning jobs in Australia for foreigners, including the requirements, duties, and benefits of working in this industry.
The salary for housekeeping jobs in Australia can vary depending on the job and the employer. Generally, housekeeping jobs in Australia can start at around $20 an hour and can go up to around $25 an hour for experienced workers.
Benefits of Housekeeping/Cleaning Jobs In Australia
For foreign workers in Australia, some benefits of housekeeping or cleaning jobs include:
- Availability of jobs: These jobs are in high demand and offer a good opportunity for foreign workers to find employment quickly.
- Good Pay: Cleaning and housekeeping jobs can offer a competitive hourly wage, which can help to support foreign workers and their families financially.
- Flexibility: Cleaning and housekeeping jobs often have flexible working hours, making it easier for foreign workers to balance work with other responsibilities.
- Career Advancement: Cleaning and housekeeping jobs can provide opportunities for foreign workers to gain experience and move up to higher-paying jobs in the hospitality industry.
- Easy Entry into the Australian job market: These jobs do not usually require extensive experience or specific qualifications, making them a good option for foreign workers who are new to Australia.
- Opportunities to Interact with People: Cleaning and housekeeping jobs often involve interacting with guests, hotel staff, and other workers, which can help foreign workers to develop their social and communication skills.
Types of Housekeeping/cleaning Jobs
Housekeeping and cleaning jobs are some of the most in-demand positions for foreigners in Australia. With a wide variety of positions available, from hotel and hospitality cleaning to the office and factory cleaning, there is something for everyone. These jobs offer good salaries, flexible hours, and the opportunity to work in a variety of settings.
There are several types of housekeeping and cleaning jobs in Australia that offer visa sponsorship for foreign workers. Some of the most common include:
- Hotel housekeeper: Hotel housekeepers are responsible for cleaning and maintaining guest rooms, as well as common areas such as lobbies, dining rooms, and restrooms. Many hotels offer visa sponsorship for foreign workers who are interested in this type of job.
- Commercial cleaner: Commercial cleaners are responsible for cleaning office buildings, shopping centres, schools, and other types of commercial properties. This type of job often requires experience, and some employers may offer visa sponsorship for foreign workers who meet their qualifications.
- Domestic cleaner: Domestic cleaners provide cleaning services to private homes and apartments. This type of job is typically part-time and may be suitable for those who are looking for flexible work arrangements. Some employers may offer visa sponsorship for foreign workers who are interested in this type of job.
- Hospitality worker: Hospitality workers perform a variety of tasks, including cleaning, housekeeping, and food service. This type of job is common in hotels, resorts, and other tourist destinations, and may offer visa sponsorship for foreign workers who are interested in working in the hospitality industry.
- Accommodation Manager: Accommodation Managers are responsible for overseeing the day-to-day operations of accommodation facilities, such as hotels and resorts. They are responsible for setting budgets, managing staff, and ensuring customer satisfaction. The average salary for this position is AUD 77,000 per year.
- Housekeeper: The average salary for this position is AUD 52,000 per year. Housekeepers are responsible for the cleaning, organizing, and restocking of guest rooms and public areas in accommodation facilities.
- Laundry Attendant: Laundry Attendants are responsible for washing, drying, and folding linens and clothing. They also maintain cleaning supplies and equipment. The average salary for this position is AUD 46,000 per year.
- Maintenance Technician: Maintenance Technicians are responsible for repairing and maintaining the accommodation facility’s buildings and equipment. The average salary for this position is AUD 47,000 per year.
- Room Attendant: Room Attendants are responsible for cleaning and sanitizing guest rooms and bathrooms. They also restock amenities and provide customer service. The average salary for this position is AUD 45,000 per year.
- Public Area Cleaner: Public Area Cleaners are responsible for cleaning and sanitizing public areas of the accommodation facility, including lobbies, hallways, and restrooms. The average salary for this position is AUD 38,000 per year.
- Valet Attendant: Valet Attendants are responsible for parking and retrieving vehicles for guests. They also provide customer service and maintain order in the parking area. The average salary for this position is AUD 42,000 per year.
- Groundskeeper: Groundskeepers are responsible for the upkeep of the grounds of the accommodation facility, including gardening, mowing, and trimming. The average salary for this position is AUD 41,000 per year.
General Duties of Housekeepers in Australia
The duties of a housekeeper or cleaner in Australia can vary depending on the specific job and employer. However, some common duties may include:
- Cleaning: This can include cleaning rooms, bathrooms, kitchens, and common areas, as well as dusting, vacuuming, and mopping floors.
- Laundry: Housekeepers and cleaners may be responsible for washing, ironing, and folding linens and towels, as well as doing laundry for guests or residents.
- Room setup and maintenance: This may include making beds, setting up rooms with clean towels and toiletries, and ensuring that rooms are well-stocked and in good condition.
- Kitchen Cleaning: Depending on the job, housekeepers and cleaners may also be responsible for cleaning and maintaining kitchen areas, including washing dishes, wiping down counters and surfaces, and cleaning appliances.
- Maintenance tasks: Housekeepers and cleaners may also be required to perform light maintenance tasks, such as changing light bulbs, fixing broken fixtures, and reporting any damage or maintenance issues to the relevant personnel.
- Health and safety: Housekeepers and cleaners are also responsible for ensuring that the work environment is clean, safe, and hygienic. This may include following health and safety protocols, such as wearing personal protective equipment, using cleaning chemicals safely, and reporting any hazardous situations.
It’s important to note that the specific duties and responsibilities of a housekeeper or cleaner in Australia may vary depending on the employer and the type of property or establishment you are working in. It’s best to check with your employer for a detailed description of your job duties.
Eligibility and Requirements for Foreigners in Australia.
To work as a housekeeper in Australia as a foreign national, you would typically need to meet the following requirements:
- Visa eligibility: You will need to have a valid visa that allows you to work in Australia. Some common visa options for foreign workers include the Temporary Skill Shortage (TSS) visa, the Working Holiday visa, or the Employer Nomination Scheme (ENS) visa.
- English proficiency: To work as a housekeeper in Australia, you will need to have a good level of English proficiency. This may be assessed through a language test, such as the International English Language Testing System (IELTS).
- Relevant experience and qualifications: Most employers will expect you to have previous experience working as a housekeeper, as well as relevant qualifications in hospitality or cleaning.
- Criminal history check: To work in the hospitality industry in Australia, you will typically need to undergo a criminal history check. This is to ensure that you have a clean criminal record and are suitable to work in a customer-facing role.
- Health check: Depending on the type of visa you have, you may also be required to undergo a health check to ensure that you are in good health and do not pose a risk to public health in Australia.
- Sponsorship: If you are applying for a visa that requires sponsorship, such as the TSS or ENS visa, you will need to find an employer who is willing to sponsor you. Your employer will need to demonstrate that they are unable to find a suitable candidate for the role locally and that you have the necessary skills and experience for the job.
It’s important to note that these requirements may vary depending on the specific visa and employer, so it’s best to check with the relevant government departments and your potential employer to confirm what is required in your case.
Housekeeping and cleaning jobs in Australia offer a unique opportunity for foreigners to work in a fast-paced and dynamic industry. With a high demand for workers, the opportunity to gain experience and build a career, and a supportive working environment, these jobs are a great choice for those looking to start a new life in Australia.
Whether you are just starting in your career or looking for a change, housekeeping and cleaning jobs can provide a pathway to success and a better future. I hope that this post was helpful, drop your questions in the comment and you will get a reply.
I am very interested cleaning job my experience very good I am very excited to work in Australia but I live in India anand GUJRAT and work here but I want to come to work in Australia I am ready to come anytime please give me offer letter I am coming to quickly