In addition to the United Kingdom, the Netherlands is another leading location for academic pursuits among Nigerians. There are scholarships available that will cover all of your costs while you are studying in the Netherlands. The Netherlands is a fantastic place to pursue higher education at any level, from undergraduate to doctoral.
As of right now, the Netherlands is home to several schools and universities that enjoy an outstanding reputation across the world. They provide a variety of educational programs so that they can meet the requirements of each learner.
The Netherlands is a country in Western Europe that shares borders with Germany and Belgium. This nation has made substantial contributions to several disciplines, including the economy, science, and industry, over a long period.
Why You Should Study In The Netherlands
In competition with other renowned UK and US colleges, Dutch universities are regarded as some of the best in the world. The Netherlands is arguably one of the best non-English speaking nations where you may study abroad, receive a top-notch education, and find a ton of degrees offered in English. Other reasons include:
- Studying at a low cost: When compared to other English-speaking nations such as the United Kingdom or the United States, studying in the Netherlands is not that expensive. The government subsidizes higher education in the Netherlands, and tuition fees are comparatively modest.
- Excellent Opportunities For Travel: The flight time from Amsterdam to other major European cities such as Paris, Berlin, Brussels, or London is only approximately an hour. Additionally, it has excellent connections and is easily accessible by train from all of Europe’s main cities.
- Many Degrees Are Taught in English: There are over 2,000 study programs and courses offered in the Netherlands that are taught in English. These programs and courses cover a wide variety of subject areas and can lead to a bachelor’s, master’s, or doctoral degree as well as a diploma or certificate.
- Affordable cost of living: Compared to other developed nations, the cost of living in the Netherlands is cheap. Expect to spend between €800 and €1,000 monthly.
- Creative Approaches to Education: Dutch institutions are renowned across the world for their well-organized, cutting-edge curricula and infrastructure. International students in the Netherlands can easily meet Dutch people as well as other international students because the teaching methodology emphasizes teamwork.
- Scholarship Opportunities: The Netherlands also provide scholarships for international students.
Scholarships Available to International Students In The Netherlands
If you are planning to pursue an education in the Netherlands and are an international student, the Netherlands offers a wide variety of services to assist you in achieving your academic goals. In the following paragraphs, we will discuss the many financial aids available to international students in the Netherlands.
1. Radboud Scholarship Programme for International Students
The Radboud Scholarship Programme offers a selected number of talented prospective non-EEA students the opportunity to receive a scholarship to pursue a complete English-taught Master’s degree programme at Radboud University. The course starts September 2023
- Tuition fee reduction to €2.314
- The scholarship covers costs for a visa, residence permit, health insurance and liability insurance for your stay in the Netherlands (Aon Student Insurance).
Deadline: 28 February 2023 (annual)
2. University of Twente Scholarships (UTS)
University Twente Scholarships (UTS) are scholarships for excellent students from both EU/EEA and non-EU/EEA countries, applying for a graduate programme (MSc) at the University of Twente.
- € 3,000 – € 22,000
Deadline: 1 Feb/1 May 2023 (annual)
3. Utrecht Excellence Scholarships for International Students
The Utrecht Excellence Scholarship (UES) offers several international students from outside the European Economic Area, the opportunity to pursue a Master’s degree in a selected number of fields at Utrecht University.
- tuition fees
- tuition fees plus the required income linked to a residence permit for study as set by the Immigration and Naturalisation Service, for one year.
Deadline: 31 Jan 2023 (annual)
4. Erasmus University Holland Scholarship
The Erasmus University Holland Scholarship is financed by the Dutch Ministry of Education, Culture and Science and Erasmus University Rotterdam. The scholarship is meant for international students from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) who want to do their Bachelors’s or Masters’s degrees in Holland.
- € 5,000, € 10,000 or € 15,000 (to be decided by the faculty)
Deadline: 1 Feb/1 May 2022 (Annual)
5. Justus & Louise van Effen Excellence Scholarships for International Students at TU Delft
The Delft University of Technology offers several excellent scholarship programs for international students. The Justus & Louise van Effen Scholarship is one of those programs and it aims to financially support excellent international MSc students wishing to study at TU Delft.
- The scholarship includes full tuition fees per year for a TU Delft MSc programme based on the statutory fee or institutional rate, according to the registered nationality, AND contribution for the living expenses.
Deadline: 1 December 2022
6. Amsterdam Merit Scholarship
The University of Amsterdam (UvA) aims to attract the world’s brightest students to its international classrooms. Outstanding students from outside the EU/EEA can apply for an Amsterdam Merit Scholarship (AMS).
- €6,000 per year
Deadline: December 2022.
7. Erasmus University Rotterdam – L-EARN for Impact Scholarship
The L-EARN for Impact Scholarship at Erasmus University Rotterdam is offered to international students who came from developing countries (according to the list of the World Bank).
- €10,000 – € 22,000
Deadline: 15 Mar-1 Apr 2022
8. Rotary Scholarships for Water and Sanitation Professionals
The Rotary Foundation and the UNESCO-IHE Institute for Water Education have teamed up to tackle the world’s water and sanitation crisis by increasing the number of trained professionals to devise, plan, and implement solutions in developing and emerging countries.
- TRF awards scholarships of approximately €36,000, paid directly to UNESCO-IHE
Deadline: 1 May 2022 (annual)
9. Maastricht University Holland High Potential Scholarships for International Students
The Maastricht University (UM) Holland-High Potential Scholarship programme offers 24 full scholarships of €30.000 (including tuition fee waiver and a monthly stipend) each academic year for highly talented students from outside the European Union (EU) who have been admitted to a Master’s programme at UM.
- The scholarship covers living expenses (€12,350 – 13 months; €23,750 – 25 months), health and liability insurance (€700), visa application costs (€207), tuition fee (at cost), and pre-academic training costs.
Deadline: 1 Feb 2023 (annual)
10. Africa Scholarship Programme at Wageningen University & Research
The Africa Scholarship Programme (ASP) offers talented and motivated students from Africa the unique opportunity to pursue a Master’s degree at Wageningen University and to support capacity building in Africa.
- Travel Expenses to and from Wageningen
- Living allowance for the duration of the programme (24 months)
- Tuition fee coverage for the duration of the programme (24 months)
- Visa costs and costs for health insurance
- A budget for one seminar in Europe (travel, stay, registration fee)
- A budget for participation in the ‘Future Potential Programme’
Deadline: 1 February 2023
If you have reached this point, the greatest thing you can do for yourself is to click on the link that has been supplied to you to begin your Application. The majority of the scholarship opportunities mentioned here do not have a submission deadline until the following year, 2023.
As an international student, you are encouraged to apply for the scholarship; once you have gathered the necessary materials, you will have a smooth application process. There are other scholarships in the Netherlands for which you can apply starting next year.