Skip to content

How to Get a Visa in Belgium

How to Get a Visa in Belgium
Share This & Enjoy Fast Connection:

If you’re planning a move to Belgium, find out if you need a Belgian visa or permit to visit, live, work or study in Belgium. You may need to apply for a visa or permit if you want to visit, live, find work, or study in Belgium. This guide to visas in Belgium includes the following sections:

  • Immigration in Belgium
  • Who needs a Belgian visa?
  • Types of Belgian visa
  • Belgian short-stay visas: less than three months in Belgium
  • Non-immigrant Belgian visas
  • Immigrant visas in Belgium
  • After you arrive: mandatory registration
  • Belgian citizenship
  • Asylum seekers in Belgium
  • Useful resources

Immigration in Belgium

Belgium has seen an increase in the size of its migrant population over the last two decades. Around 150,000 people move to the country each year and approximately 25% of Belgian residents were foreign-born. As it is part of the Schengen Area, Belgium allows many EU residents passport-free travel into the country. The country has an international reputation as the home of the European Commission as well as being a hub of economic activity. The Immigration Office manages the country’s immigration policy, which is part of the Federal Public Service for Foreign Affairs.

Who Needs a Visa for Belgium?

EU/EFTA Nationals

Citizens of the European Union (EU) and the European Free Trade Association (Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, and Switzerland) can travel freely to Belgium without a visa. EU and EEA citizens don’t need a work permit to work. Citizens of the 25 other Schengen Area countries within the EU/EFTA can travel freely to Belgium without a passport.

Those from EU countries that are not part of the Schengen Area (Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Ireland, Romania, and the UK) need to show a passport but don’t need a visa. The UK is currently an EU member but is due to leave very soon after the Brexit referendum vote in 2016. As a result, the future surrounding Belgian visa or entry requirements for UK citizens after Brexit is still uncertain; for the time being, the UK continues to enjoy the full benefits of EU membership.

Under certain circumstances, EU/EEA/Swiss citizens need to register at the local town hall (Maison communale/gemeentehuis) when they arrive in Belgium.

Non-EU/EFTA Nationals


Third-country nationals (non-EU/EFTA citizens) will normally need a Belgian visa for any long-term stay (over 90 days) in Belgium. For shorter stays under 90 days, residents of many countries must apply for a short-stay visa. Some non-EU/EFTA countries have agreements with Schengen Area states to allow their citizens visa-free stays of up to 90 days for tourism or business.

Types of Belgian Visa

Belgian visas are one of three broad types:

  • Short-term Belgian visas – these are visas that permit stays of up to 90 days for tourism or business;
  • Non-Immigrant visas – these are longer-term temporary visas for studying or working on fixed-term contracts, where the holder doesn’t intend to stay in the country beyond a fixed period;
  • Immigrant visas – long-term visas for those who want to stay in Belgium either long-term or permanently, for purposes such as work or retirement

Full details of these visas along with qualifying conditions, costs, and application processes are available below.

Short-term Visas for Belgium

A short-stay Schengen or C visa allows you to stay in the Schengen area – but not work – for up to a maximum of 90 days in any 180 days. If you have a Schengen visa from another Schengen state, you can also stay in Belgium if you haven’t exceeded the 90-day allowance.

Here is a list of the different short-stay Belgian visa types.

Airport Transit Visa

An airport transit visa allows you to pass through the international transit zone while waiting for a connecting flight. You cannot leave the airport and enter Belgium. The visa is necessary for citizens of the following countries: Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Democratic Republic of Congo, Dominican Republic, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Iran, Iraq, Nepal, Nigeria, Pakistan, Somalia, South Sudan, Sri Lanka, Sudan, and Syria. You may be exempt from needing this visa if you are a family member of an EU/EFTA citizen.

You must apply for an airport transit Belgian visa at least 15 days before your trip. If a Belgian airport is your first or only transit airport, you can apply at the Belgian embassy in your home country. See here for a list of Belgian embassies and consulates around the world. Along with your application form, you must provide a valid passport/ID, two recent passport photos, proof of flight, travel insurance policy, and proof of the paid visa fee of €60.

Tourist Visa

A tourist Belgian visa allows visitors to stay in the country for a maximum of 90 days in six months. All third-country nationals wanting to visit Belgium for tourist purposes need this visa unless they are from one of the 61 exempt countries. Apply at the Belgian embassy or consulate of your home country a minimum of 15 days before your visit. Along with the visa application form, you’ll need to provide a valid passport/ID, two recent passport photos, flight details, health insurance details, proof of accommodation, and proof of financial means to support your stay. You’ll also need to show proof that you’ve paid the tourist visa fee of €60 (€35 for children aged 6-12).

Visitor Visa

Would You Like To Apply For This Jobs/Sponsorship?

Enter Your Email Address HERE & You Will Receive a Notification About Your Application. If it shows "Subscribed" CLICK HERE to follow on Telegram for updates

If you want to come to Belgium to visit family or friends, you’ll need this visa. The requirements, processes, and costs for the visitor Belgian visa are much the same as for the tourist visa. The main difference is that you also must provide a letter of invitation along with proof of family relationship for relatives.

Business Visa

This visa is necessary for short-term business-related trips to Belgium lasting less than 90 days. This is a requirement for non-EU/EFTA nationals but the same exemptions apply as for the tourist visa. The processes and costs for the business Belgian visa are the same as for the tourist visa. Requirements are also the same but you will also need to provide a letter from your employer explaining the purpose of your trip, or an invitation letter from the organization in Belgium requesting your attendance.

Official Visit Visa

The official visit visas for Belgium are necessary for those who have an official invitation for an:

  • official meeting, consultation, or negotiation;
  • exchange program;
  • intergovernmental organizational event

Requirements and processes are largely the same as for the Belgian tourist visa. You must also provide the letter of invitation along with other required documents. An Official Note of the Consular Department is necessary for diplomatic visits. The cost of this Belgian visa is €60, but diplomatic passport holders are exempt from paying the fee.

Medical Visas for Belgium

This is a visa for those wanting to receive medical treatment in Belgium and not stay longer than three months. If treatment lasts longer than this, however, you must apply for a long-term Belgian visa. Requirements, processes, and costs are similar to the tourist visa. However, you’ll need to show proof of the need for medical treatment (e.g., a doctor’s letter) along with proof of health insurance or advance payment for treatment.

Short-Term Study Visa

For trips relating to  lasting less than three months, a short-term student visa can be applied for in much the same way as the tourist visa or other short-stay Belgian visas. You must provide relevant study or educational purposes pporting documents (e.g., acceptance onto the study program or proof of qualifications). Children also must provide a declaration of consent from parents as well as from their school. For school trips and exchanges, schools or travelling parties from non-EU/EFTA countries can make a group application that exempts children in the group from having to make individual visa applications. Full details of all children attending, including photos, need to be provided in advance of the trip.

Visas for Cultural, Sports, Religious, or Film Events in Belgium

This visa covers visits for artists, athletes, or religious leaders attending events and competitions in Belgium. As well as the standard short-stay visa requirements, applicants need to provide event information and evidence of skills or qualifications. For film crews, details of the film, film-maker credentials, and a list of film crew members also need to be provided. The standard fee for this visa is €60 but there are many exemptions. Check what applies to your circumstances.

Non-immigrant Visas for Belgium


If you’re coming to Belgium for longer than 90 days but don’t intend to stay permanently, you must apply for a long-stay (category D) non-immigrant visa based on the purpose of your stay. For example, whether you are coming to Belgium to work, study, or stay with a family member. Since 2015, an additional contribution is necessary for processing certain long-stay Belgian visa applications. This fee is in addition to the standard handling fee; pay this to the Belgian Immigration Office before making your application. The fee amount is between €62–358 depending on circumstances, although there are exempt categories such as children. Further information is also available from the Belgian Immigration Office or a Belgian embassy.

The following non-immigrant Belgian visas are available.

Student Visas in Belgium

Non-EU students who want to study in Belgium for a period exceeding 90 days must apply for a student visa. You can apply for this visa if:

  • your studies will be your main occupation during your stay in Belgium;
  • you have sufficient resources to support yourself during your stay. For the 2018/19 academic year, this is €654 per month net;
  • you have health insurance coverage for Belgium;
  • there are no outstanding criminal charges against your name

You must show evidence of your acceptance into a course at a recognized institution in Belgium, along with a valid passport/ID and proof that you meet the above requirements. The cost for this Belgian visa is €180 plus the additional contribution if applicable.

Visas for Temporary Workers/Au Pairs

There are three temporary Belgian work visas. Each allows the holder to work in Belgium for a period of up to 12 months. These are:

  • Category B Work Visa – this is for a specific job with a specific employer and requires sponsorship from the employer. B work permits are issued when there is a shortage of suitable candidates among the Belgian workforce or for certain skilled positions including managerial posts, academic staff, spokespeople, and entertainers. This visa is usually applied for by the employer and can be renewed beyond 12 months if the criteria are still met.
  • Category C Work Visa – this is issued to people already in Belgium temporarily but who didn’t come for work purposes (e.g. students, family members, asylum seekers). It allows the holder to take up any job for which they are qualified. It can be renewed beyond 12 months in some circumstances.
  • Au Pair Visa – individuals aged between 18-26 who don’t hold a Belgian work visa can work in Belgium as an au pair if they and their host family meet certain conditions. This visa cannot exceed 12 months, however.

Non-immigrant Family Visas

If you want to come to Belgium to stay with a partner or relatives for a limited period that is longer than three months, you will have to apply for a category D family reunion visa along with a temporary residence permit. Visas can be issued for periods of up to five years although there is the possibility of renewing them. You should make the application at the Belgian embassy or consulate in your home country. The exact process and requirements depend on where you are coming from, whether you are visiting EU/EFTA or non-EU/EFTA relatives, and how long you intend to stay. Visa costs are €180.

Immigrant Visas in Belgium

If you are relocating to Belgium or planning to come for a significant period (longer than a year), you will need to apply for a category D long-stay Belgian visa. Which visa you apply for depends on the purpose of the movie to Belgium. The standard cost of a long-stay immigrant visa is €180 plus the same additional surcharges as the non-immigrant visas. Generally, you will have to apply for this visa at the Belgian embassy or consulate in your home country. If you apply from within Belgium, you should do it through the local Belgian municipal administration offices/town hall (Maison communale/gemeentehuis). The following types of immigrant Belgian vis

Family Reunion Visas

In general, if you’re a non-EU/EEA or Swiss national, you can get a long-term visa to accompany your spouse, registered partner or parent (if you’re a dependent family member), who has been permitted to come and live in Belgium as long as you fulfil certain conditions. You have to be able to prove your relationship and have suitable accommodation in Belgium, and there must be sufficient funds to support the family’s living and health insurance costs.

You’ll need to complete an application form for a long-stay visa in Belgium, provide various documents (including a valid passport/ID and proof of relationship to your relative) and show proof of fee payment.

Adopted Children


If you are a Belgian national or a foreign resident living in Belgium who wants to adopt a child from overseas, you’ll need to apply for a category D long-term Belgian visa for the child. For this, you’ll need to supply a completed application form, passport, parents’ passports plus visa/residence permits, child’s birth certificate, as well as completed adoption forms. Children adopted by parents born in Belgium or with Belgian citizenship automatically obtain Belgian citizenship.

Work Visas

For a long-term work visa in Belgium, you must first find a job. Belgian employers apply for work permits on your behalf. The long-term Belgian visa for work purposes is known as a Category A work visa which allows the holder to work for any employer indefinitely.

Entrepreneur Visas

Non-EU/EFTA nationals who want to start a business or set up as self-employed in Belgium need to apply for a professional card that acts as a permit to trade and carry out independent business activities. You will need to apply for a long-stay category D Belgian visa via the Belgian embassy or consulate in your home country (or from the local municipal administration offices if already in Belgium), submitting an application form along with the necessary accompanying documents. You can apply for the professional card at the same time as making your Belgian visa application. The professional card is issued by the regional authorities.

Retirement to Belgium

Those looking to retire to Belgium from a non-EU/EFTA country will need to apply for a Category D long-stay visa from the Belgian embassy or consulate in their home country.

To retire to Belgium, you will need to show that you can care for yourself without working. This can be done by providing bank statements, pension statements or proof of income from real estate for the last six months. You will also need to supply a letter explaining your reasons for relocating to Belgium. Preference is given to those who can demonstrate ties to Belgium (e.g., family ties or having lived in the country before). Other documents that need to be provided are a completed application form, valid passport/ID, medical certificate, criminal record history certificate, and proof of visa fee payments.

Arrival in Belgium: Registration and Residence

When you arrive in Belgium you have three days to register your arrival at the municipal administration offices. They will give you a document specifying when you have to leave Belgium. Anyone who plans to stay in Belgium for more than three months will be classified as a resident. After you arrive in Belgium, you have eight working days to go to your local municipal administration office/town hall (Maison communale/gemeentehuis) to be registered on the Foreigner’s Register and get your residence card.

You’ll need to take along your passport, work permit (if applicable) and passport photos. You’ll be issued with a Certificate of Registration, and either an A residence card if you are staying for a specific amount of time, or a B residence card if you are allowed to stay in Belgium indefinitely.

Besides registration, you will also need to set up the necessary aspects for living in Belgium, such as a bank account, health insurance, and more.

Citizenship and Permanent Residence in Belgium

Once you live in Belgium for five years, you may qualify for permanent residency in Belgium. Certain residents will also be able to apply for Belgian nationality if they fulfil certain conditions. Both allow you to stay in Belgium indefinitely, working or otherwise, under similar conditions as Belgian citizens.

If you hold a Blue Card from another EU member state and have lived elsewhere in the EU for a certain period, this time can count towards your calculation of five years.

Asylum Seekers and Refugees in Belgium

Belgium is a party to the Geneva Convention; all foreigners who enter the country have the right to apply for asylum. The first step toward applying for asylum in Belgium is applying to the General Commissariat for Refugees and Stateless Persons (CGRS). Applicants then go to a reception centre during the application process. Here, they receive lodging, meals, and medical support.

Decisions usually take around three to six months. If the asylum case is rejected, an appeal can be lodged within 30 days. Asylum seekers will be interviewed about their application as part of the process. If they are granted refugee status, they will be given residency in Belgium for an unlimited period. Rejected applicants will not be able to stay in Belgium and will be expected to leave within a specified period. Belgium had around 20,000 first-time asylum applicants from non-EU countries in 2018, the 8th highest in the EU.

Useful Resources for Visas in Belgium

Share This & Enjoy Fast Connection:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Would you like to receive daily scholarships updates + job offers & including special opportunities?