South Africa is one of the top places in Africa to study. This is due to the high level of education and academic programs available in South Africa, as well as the availability of scholarships and work-study opportunities. South Africa is culturally diverse and historically significant. The majority of the country’s industries, from agriculture to business services, are thriving.
South Africa offers a variety of scholarships, including international scholarships, national scholarships, university grants, and other forms of financial aid for students. You must meet the conditions for a fully financed South African scholarship, which vary depending on the type of scholarship. It would be ideal if you also studied the scholarship policies of the university to which you are applying.
You can also apply for scholarships in South Africa for a variety of programs and degrees, including undergraduate, master’s, and doctoral programs. The scholarship is awarded based on merit, research, or nationality (country). Scholarships are available in engineering, medicine, law, sports, the arts, and music. In this article, we will be discussing Fully Funded Scholarships in South Africa for international students
Reasons why you should study in South Africa
- South Africa is a unique study location with beautiful scenery that provides affordable education for international students
- It is home to some the prestigious universities which include:
- The University of Cape Town
- University of Witwatersrand (Johannesburg)
- Stellenbosch University (Stellenbosch)
- The University of Pretoria (Pretoria)
- University of KwaZulu-Natal (Durban)
- Also, because of its ethnically diverse culture, it provides an enriching learning experience for international students
- It has the highest educational standards in the whole of Africa
- Studying in South Africa would allow you to easily transition into the workforce and you would be able to work part-time till your student visa expires.
- Education is more affordable than in other countries
- A unique learning and teaching styles
- South Africa is an exciting place to be, with a unique style of leaving
- Application for South African scholarships is not difficult. It involves meeting the criteria for the particular scholarship and submitting the required documents on the official university website.
Here is the list of fully-funded scholarships in South Africa
1. MANDELA RHODES FOUNDATION SCHOLARSHIP
Mandela Rhodes foundation scholarship aims to combine both financial support and a leadership program that will allow the students to grow and connect with others. The Scholarship offers comprehensive funding support for the core costs associated with the student’s studies. It covers one-year tuition for an honors degree or a two-year master’s degree in any field at a recognized South African institution of higher learning.
South African Universities
2. LSE & UCT 2022-2023 (Fully funded Double Degree Masters Scholarship for African Students)
This scholarship offers an opportunity to study and gain experience in two cities: London and Los Angeles, Shanghai, Or Cape town. The program is in the Global Media Communications program at the London School of Economics and political science, University of Cape Town.
London School of Economics and Political Sciences, University of Cape Town
3. MINDS 2022-2023 Scholarship Program in Leading Development for Africans
The purpose of the scholarship program is to allow African students to study in a nation other than their own and thereby immerse themselves in the richness and diversity that the country and its people have to offer. Young African scholars are urged to take advantage of the scholarship opportunity to further their studies.
Mandela Institute of Development Studies
4. MONASH UNIVERSITY SOUTH AFRICAN UNDERGRADUATE SCHOLARSHIPS
Scholarships from Monash University are available to both high-achieving students and those who are experiencing some type of poverty (financial hardship). Students are given scholarships to encourage and recognize academic performance in previous studies. Monash University’s South African campus aims to provide higher education opportunities to a diverse cross-section of the continent through giving scholarships and bursaries.
South African University
5. MasterCard Foundation Scholarship
The MasterCard foundation scholarship aims at transforming the continent of Africa by supporting academically talented students who are financially down but with great potential to impact Africa positively through their knowledge, skills, attitudes, and values.
University of Pretoria
Masters and PhD
6. BERTHA SCHOLARSHIP FOR SOCIAL INNOVATORS
The Bertha Scholarship is open to innovators, entrepreneurs, outside-the-box thinkers, system entrepreneurs, change-makers, social activists, and cross-disciplinary candidates from any field who are actively engaged in the exploration of social, environmental, and/or economic justice through innovative approaches.
University of Cape Town graduate school of Business
7. SCHOLARSHIPS FOR LLM/MPhil UNIVERSITY OF PRETORIA
Students from African countries who intend to enroll in the University of Pretoria’s 1-year full-time LLM/MPhil in Human Rights and Democratization in Africa (HRDA) program can apply to be considered for scholarships to cover the costs of the program.
center for human rights, university of Pretoria
LLM/MPhil in Human Rights and Democratization
8. DRD SCHOLARSHIPS FOR SUB-SAHARAN AFRICANS
Each year, the DRD awards a limited number of DAAD merit scholarships to applicants from Sub-Saharan African nations who have an outstanding academic record and wish to pursue development-related masters and doctoral courses.
university of the western cape or Ruhr University Bochum
9. ACMS FULL MASTERS AND Ph.D. SCHOLARSHIPS – WITS UNIVERSITY
Four MA and five Ph.D. candidates selected into ACMS’ Migration and Displacement program in 2023 will receive full scholarships. The German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) will make the final decisions and administer the scholarships. The initial part of the application process, which includes pre-selection and shortlisting of candidates, is handled by ACMS. For the second part of the application process and final decisions, ACMS will submit the shortlist to DAAD.
University of Witwatersrand
10. COMMONWEALTH SCHOLARSHIPS IN SOUTH AFRICA
The Commonwealth Scholarship Fellowship applications are open to citizens of Commonwealth countries. They are eligible to apply for the two-year master’s degree programs offered at the University of Pretoria, South Africa.
University of Pretoria
Admission Requirements for International Students
As an international student, the following are the general requirements:
- completed application form.
- proof of paying the application fee (if applicable)
- high school diploma (to apply for a Bachelor’s)
- Bachelor’s diploma (to apply for a Master’s)
- transcript of records.
- passport-size photo(s)
- copy of valid passport and/or personal ID.
- motivation letter.
These requirements may vary depending on the school and level of education you are applying to. All applications are done online for international students.
South Africa is an awesome study location for international students, and we are sure you will be excited to study there not just because of its beautiful scenery or the low cost of living but also because its tuition fees are lesser compared to other countries. And its universities are highly prestigious in the whole of Africa. Another interesting thing is the industrious aspect. In the whole of Africa, South Africa is a huge center of commerce, and it is the second-largest economy. You can leverage this and study at the same time. With so many colorful places, you are in for an interesting ride!
As an international student, before applying for any scholarship, take time to assess the courses they offer, international students’ requirements, and eligibility status. Once you have ascertained that, find out about the language requirement like the TOEFL Ibt, PTE Academic, and start your preparations. Note that all the fully-funded scholarships for international students on this list are scholarships that could be applied for annually. South Africa scholarships for international students are sponsored by both Government and universities, the application process is on the school’s website. To be eligible for admission, you need to meet the minimum requirements for eligibility.